[OS X TeX] iPhone, anyone?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jul 9 16:36:25 CEST 2008

Am 09.07.2008 um 15:52 schrieb François Chaplais:

> \usepackage{times,helvet,courier,mathptmx}

I did not mean this example to be used as is – the three packages
times, helvet, and courier all do quite the same:

times:
	\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
	\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
	\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}

helvet:
	\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}

courier:
	\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}

except mathptmx, that has to do quite a bit more, because math is a
bit complicated:
	\def\rmdefault{ptm}
	\DeclareSymbolFont{operators}   {OT1}{ztmcm}{m}{n}
	\DeclareSymbolFont{letters}     {OML}{ztmcm}{m}{it}
	\DeclareSymbolFont{symbols}     {OMS}{ztmcm}{m}{n}
	\DeclareSymbolFont{largesymbols}{OMX}{ztmcm}{m}{n}
	\DeclareSymbolFont{bold}        {OT1}{ptm}{bx}{n}
	\DeclareSymbolFont{italic}      {OT1}{ptm}{m}{it}
	\@ifundefined{mathbf}{}{\DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathbf}{OT1}{ptm}{bx}{n}}
	\@ifundefined{mathit}{}{\DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathit}{OT1}{ptm}{m}{it}}

So loading just times and mathptmx fixes all. There is also an option
to use a more modern equivalent to Computer Modern, Latin Modern
(still in ongoing development). In order to use these clones you need
to load the package via

	\usepackage{lmodern}

They also offers a mathematics setup included. The most recent
version of the package offers also light and condensed fonts. Could
be they offer some benefit on the iPhone. The fourier package offers
Utopia as base font for text and maths, and mathpazo tries to use
Palatino or the urw++ clone Palladio. And there is dozen or more
more ... Stephen Hartke wrote a survey on (all or most of these) math
fonts: /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-doc/doc/english/free-math-font-
survey/survey.pdf. I think he missed at least FPL/FPLneu, a free
Palatino/Palladio clone.

(Since I don't have an iPhone I still don't understand what your
problem is.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is
overhead for the operating system.