[OS X TeX] Fwd: [Ii2-announce] New i-Installer version (2.90), updated i-Packages

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jul 8 18:19:14 CEST 2008

Given the potential importance for OS X TeX users, I'm forwarding the
announcement of a new version of i-Installer and i-Packages, working
around a bug of the tar utility in the most recent versions of OS X
(10.5.4 surely, earlier versions of Leopard possibly). People
installing TeX using MacTeX, not i-Installer, are not affected.

The problem is observed for tar archives containing files with
resource forks (appearing in listing of the archive content as
additional files with same names as the original files prefaced with
"._"). When unarchiving one such archive, in each affected
subdirectory a spurious file is created, with same name as the first
file in the subdirectory and random three-letter extension.

Now, i-Packages contain .tar.bz2 compressed archives, uncompressed and
unarchived at install time by calling tar. Some of them were affected
by this bug, and accordingly their installation on recent versions of
OS X resulted in the creation of spurious files such as, for
Ghostscript,

/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.62/Resource/Encoding/Wingdings.
[random-3-letter-extension]

The result, when typesetting in TeX and Ghostscript mode, was a
message like that reported on <http://www.apfelwiki.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1690
 >:

Unrecoverable error: undefinedresource in findresource
Operand stack:
     1  FontEmulationProcs  encodingnames  --nostringval--  --
nostringval--  StandardEncoding  --nostringval--  ISOLatin1Encoding  --
nostringval--  SymbolEncoding  --nostringval--  DingbatsEncoding  --
nostringval--  StandardEncoding  --nostringval--  SymbolEncoding  --
nostringval--  ISOLatin1Encoding  --nostringval--  DingbatsEncoding
Wingdings.fbD  Wingdings.fbD  Encoding  24  Wingdings.fbD
Unrecoverable error: undefined in findresource
Operand stack:
     1  FontEmulationProcs  encodingnames  --nostringval--  --
nostringval--  StandardEncoding  --nostringval--  ISOLatin1Encoding  --
nostringval--  SymbolEncoding  --nostringval--  DingbatsEncoding  --
nostringval--  StandardEncoding  --nostringval--  SymbolEncoding  --
nostringval--  ISOLatin1Encoding  --nostringval--  DingbatsEncoding
Wingdings.fbD  Wingdings.fbD  Encoding  24  Wingdings.fbD
### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.1855-1215093180/test.pdf ()

The new version of i-Installer and i-Packages are immune to this
problem, and cure existing installations affected by it.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin