[OS X TeX] Re: List of feature requests on this list

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 05:19:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Victor,

> AR and Preview (TS) give you images this way, which need to be
> pasted somewhere for comparison.
>
> With Skim, just Cmd-click the link then hit its yellow
> traffic-light. This minimizes it into the "Snapshot" side-bar.
> Do this for each equation needing to be compared.
> Then bring each one back up with a click, and adjust its window
> size/shape/position (and magnification, if desired).
> This allows an easier way to compare the equations.

This is very nice
> The need to adjust window sizes is a step that it would be
> nice to be able to eliminate, if possible.

Further, one needs often scroll this window and it size is bounded from below

> Also, the term "Snapshot" is now being used in two different ways.
> For Skim, a better term might be "Spyglass", or something else;
> especially since the view is scrollable, so not really a snapshot
> at all.

As an author I would like to have a control what will be in the
Spyglass window.

>> paper (2) Adobe' people think that they already provided us with all
>> tools needed.
>>

> Yes; but with Skim you can have many different windows,
> opened and sized appropriately.

I did not realize this

>> Surely if you are the author you can always write: Comparing equations
>> (\ref{A}), (\ref{B}),...
>> \begin{equation}
>> \tag{\ref{A}}
>> \end{equation}
>> \begin{equation}
>> \tag{\ref{b}}
>> \end{equation}
>>
>> but using this trick frequently would increase the number of pages
>> with  grave consequences for printed article; even pdf article will be
>> overburdened.
>
> It should not be necessary to add extra images to the PDF, if that
> is what you mean, since the information is already in the PDF...

" for printed article" I wrote. As far as pdf article is concerned if
your page is clogged by old equations then you have very little of new
material. Therefore this trick should be used not too often and thus
pop-ups or Spywindows or Copy-paste are required

>> Luckily Ross demonstrated a solution in a different mailing list
>> (works only in AR since only it understands Javascript). Hopefully he
>> will make a package.
>
>  ... which is one of the downsides of my solution, which
> is not shared by Skim's "Snapshots".

The problem with Skim or any pdf-viewer different from AA/AR is that
they are not full-featured and cannot display JS animations, or
movies, or u3d files. The latter is not exotic anymore: Mathematica
can export to PLY, Maple+Javaview to OBJ, Meshlab can convert both PLY
and OBJ to U3D (the color is lost so far)

> The 2nd downside of my solution is that you cannot choose between
> the actions. My Javascript button screens the underlying hyperlink.

Yes and the same is true for fancytooltips but even in the worst way:
even without JS hyperlink is blocked

> It is reliant on the browser to pass a click through when JS is
> not activated.  AR and eVince (for Linux) do this correctly,
> but Preview and Skim do not.

Well, none of this is truly correct behavior IMHO. A reader should be
able to chose between following link and popup without enabling
/disabling js

> Thus it is really a matter of requesting the browser vendors
> to implement all the methods that we researchers find useful;
> preferably with a consistent interface for using them.
>
> Having Skim doing some things differently to Preview and AR
> is useful for showing Apple and Adobe what we'd like them
> to be doing too.

Will they listen?

> Skim giving you the choice of "Click" and "Cmd-click" is a good
> solution, IMHO.

Yes, as long as AR is not required due to multimedia content

   Victor