[OS X TeX] New thread ?

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 2 18:58:59 CEST 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2008, at 4:18 pm, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> If most people want a link added to the footer of *every* message
>> that is simply a mailto link, then I will add it.
>
> Please don't. I'm guessing that most of those who don't know how to
> start a new thread (in any of several simple ways), or why it's
> worth bothering to do so, would also overlook such a link...
> especially as it would often be out of sight, below the visible
> area of the window.

The "List Reminders and Etiquette" link already appears in the
footer.  The first item there is about thread hijacking.

Perhaps adding "Before posting, please read ..." to this line will
encourage more to do so.

I worry that those who don't know this point of etiquette already
won't know what a "thread" is if/when they read about it in the
footer.  So giving them a link to click on would be a solution for
those who don't know they have a problem.  Also, I think the
frequency of thread hijacking is low enough that a gentle correction
suffices.

--Matt

--
Matthew Leingang