[OS X TeX] Texmaker

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jan 29 01:12:46 CET 2008

Am 28.01.2008 um 02:30 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> I occasionally wonder where such .log files are stored, such as
> dvips.log and here texmaker.log. They don't appear in the current
> directory IIRC and none appears in Console.app (which by default
> seems to look at ~/Library/Logs, /Library/Logs and /var/log).

I looked a bit closer to what texmaker is doing, which files it opens
– there is no LOG file listed by lsof. Any LOG file used in any TeX
related process is handled by the utilities involved into this
process step. Nevertheless texmaker catches the output of utilities
in case they produce it. And then this output just disappears!

By experimenting with a shell script I wrote as substitute for ps2pdf
I found that texmaker expects double-quotes to surround the "path
names" of its utilities. If a path name is not enclosed in them,
texmaker stops, not executing this utility. Since the quoted path
names are inserted by manually setting the preferences (and only
stubborn folks like me do it otherwise) this mistake should not
happen – and it does not match the ps2pdfwr fault.

This set of shell scripts, saved into ~/bin, and ps3pdf.sh of this
set set as ps2pdf utility in preferences, will hopefully show why
there is a problem with ps2pdfwr in quick mode: