[OS X TeX] Utopia Fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 21 01:52:42 CET 2008

Am 20.01.2008 um 16:05 schrieb Holger Frauenrath:

> Could you give me a hint what are the advantages of OpenType ver
> the Postscript fonts for use in Mac applications (not LaTeX)?

OT has a straight encoding: Unicode. It can have up to 64 K glyphs.
Can be TrueType or PostScript ("CFF, Compact Font Format") based.

Although it works to convert OT fonts to PS Type 1 (or other),
"expert fonts" are not only a pain, I doubt that a PS "expert font"
can be exactly built from an OT font: there are no rules where to put
the small caps or old type digits, their names are not really strict
(Unicode is based on position). With a text processor (XeTeX or
Textedit for example) you can choose this or that feature (table),
and your document will see real small caps and jumping digits instead
of lining figures and not what you might be used from an MS product.
Or TeX. With some effort you might succeed to create from OT fonts
the PS "expert fonts." Otftotfm offers to select from or via the
tables I mentioned. Provided the glyphs in the PS fonts have exactly
the names which are used in the encodings Fourier uses for its
commercial "expert fonts" then you'll be able to use the PS fonts.
And it's not necessary to restrict any such dumped or converted font
to just a few glyphs: a PostScript font can have a lot of glyphs, but
any encoding can only have 256 entries. And since the PS encodings
used are based on glyph names the fonts have to match the encoding
files.

Make a (maybe illegal) try with Antykwa Toruńska, it offers so much
(most of the 400 glyph variants are small caps). If it works fine for
you, you might have the same success with Utopia. And: you'll be
allowed to return the fonts within some weeks ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy