[OS X TeX] wyswyg-TeX for Linux?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 14:36:32 CET 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 12:47 AM, brian at pongonova.net wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:29:36PM -0500, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> For some reasons, I am under the impression that the code produced by
>> Lyx is not quite the same as that put out by open packages such as
>> those to be found, say, on CTAN. More to the point, I am under the
>> impression that the code produced by Lyx has to be edited/typeset
>> with Lyx. In which case it wouldn't comply with the terms of the GNU
>> Free Documentation License.
>
> Not true.  LyX produces documents that can be read by other LaTeX
> processors.  I started my dissertation in LyX, and discovered there
> were some things I needed to do that LyX made somewhat difficult, so I
> migrated to MacTeX/vim/LaTeX-Suite and used the source document
> produced by LyX with no problems.  LyX can use whatever LaTeX
> processor you happen to have installed.
>
> Even if the output from LyX wasn't readable by another processor, that
> wouldn't necessarily mean there was a GPL violation.  LyX is open
> source under GPLv2, so the source code itself would describe any type
> of output that was LyX-specific.

I am glad to be wrong.

Back when I was a student (in LaTeX so it was only some three years
ago) I had tried LyX but hadn't liked it. Can't remember why though.

I am not about to change from TeXShop et al—I am not about to change,
period—but I will now try LyX again to see whether it can be put into
the hands of my fragile students—we are not talking thesis students
here.—but they wouldn't have anything difficult to do. The nice thing
is that it's also on Windows which is what the students all have.

I will have to check the installation, though.

If you have any advice, I would appreciate.

Grateful regards
--schremmer