[OS X TeX] Re: BBedit and LaTeX integration under Leopard (David Airey)

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 15 21:29:42 CET 2008

On 15 jan 2008, at 16:47, David Airey wrote:

> One possibility is that the default TeX installation from MacTeX is
> not an installation Maarten is expecting.

What I expect is the following: tex is configured such that it can be
called from the command line. As a fallback I add /usr/texbin to the
PATH environment variable, the default after installing MacTeX. I
always recommend and use MacTeX, so that certainly is the version of
tex that I expect.

> Another possibility is that my Leopard installation is somehow
> something the MacTex installation is not expecting. Regardless,
> Maarten's scripts works. If anyone else uses BBedit 8 and a
> MacTeX2007 installation onto Leopard and doesn't get the noisy
> complaints above, please let us know, so we might determine if it is
> my system that is idiosyncratic!

What I don't understand is your /etc/profile file. It seems to be the
version from Tiger, on your Leopard install. On the other hand, none
of the bashrc or profile files contain a reference to /usr/texbin, as
they should have if MacTeX installed successfully.

If that is a common combination, then we will be in for a rough ride
with the next MacTeX update.

Just to be sure, IIRC the command
grep '/usr/texbin' /etc/* 2> /dev/null
does not list any file on your system.