[OS X TeX] [ANN] BibDesk 1.3.13

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Jan 15 00:23:27 CET 2008

On Monday, January 14, 2008, at 02:51PM, "Chris Goedde" <cgg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 14, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> You need to use a unique specifier so AutoFile can generate a
>> unique name and avoid overwriting an existing file.
>>
>> Try replacing %e with %u0%e which will insert a character before
>> the extension if necessary.
>
>Just out of curiosity (and speaking as someone who didn't follow the
>discussion but will face this when I update to 1.3.13), why not just
>silently do this? For example, my current specifier is %f{Cite Key}%
>e. Rather than throw up an error message, why doesn't Bibdesk just
>treat this as %f{Cite Key}%u0%e?

If you were using one of the preset formats, you get a silent update and never see the alert.  If you've customized it at some point, it's not clear where you'd want the %u or what variant of it you'd want to use, so user intervention is required.  The dialog could be more helpful, though, and I think it's improved for the next release.

>This assumes I'm understanding things correctly, and that %f{Cite Key}
>%e and %f{Cite Key}%u0%e are functionally equivalent when there is
>only one file attached to a record.

It has nothing to do with files being attached to a publication.  This ensures a unique /file/ name on disk, in case you have (for example) multiple .bib files with the same citekey and try to autofile from both files.

--
adam