[OS X TeX] xdvi under Tiger

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Wed Jan 9 14:32:50 CET 2008

Peter Dyballa schrieb:

>> I'm stuck. :-/ What else do I have to do in order to run xdvi?
>
> Provide a DISPLAY variable in X11's process environment.
>
> Apple uses a rather unfriendly scheme to create a process, without using
> the shell. So no shell environment variables are inherited. This
> document describes it a bit:
> http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html
>
> And this link leads to a bunch of shell scripts inside an Aqua
> application that create the ~/.MacOSX stuff plus a bit more with lots of
> documentation, which Jason Davies is hosting kindly:
> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgajpd/Academic/MacResources.html.

Thanks für explaining. I've run your script and it's created
.MacOSX/environment.plist in my home directory. Is there anything else I
have to add to evironment.plist now? The DISPLAY field contains ":0".
I've not configured X11 before...

I also have found out that I can start xdvi from within the X11 terminal
giving the full pathname /usr/texbin/xdvi-xaw.bin . It works fine, and
if this is the way to run xdvi on my machine I could do with it. 8-)
However, I wonder whether there is a way to start xdvi from within
Apples standard terminal, too?

Regards,
Jürgen.