[OS X TeX] help

Ari Stern ari at caltech.edu
Fri Feb 29 03:56:43 CET 2008

>  2) Using TexShop I am composing an input.tex file. The file is long
>  because I pasted a long text into it. Here what I would like to be
>  able to do (but do not know how). Suppose I select a large number of
>  lines. Is there a command for placing the % sign in front of each of
>  them at once? Then I would select a small set of commands and remove
>  the % from them before pressing the "typeset" button. That would be
>  useful in debugging.

If you want TeX to ignore a whole block of text, there's an
alternative to commenting the individual lines out:

\iffalse
[... block of text to ignore ...]
\fi

I find this useful for debugging, as well as when I want to rewrite a
passage, but don't want to delete my original draft from the source.

Cheers,
Ari