[OS X TeX] (no subject)

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Feb 27 00:32:56 CET 2008

At 6:23 PM -0500 2/26/08, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:10 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>>At 10:39 PM +0000 2/26/08, Marco Belleschi wrote:
>>>I'm using TexShop for my master thesis. If I
>>>insert the package subfigure in the preamble I
>>>get the following error
>>>

>>>! LaTeX Error: Command \c at lofdepth already defined.
>>>               Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
>>>
>>>See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>>>Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>>
>>>l.124 \newcounter{lofdepth}
>>>
>>>?
>>>
>>>This is the preamble I'm using
>>>
>>>\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{kth-mag}
>>>\usepackage{url}
>>>\usepackage{amsmath, amsthm, amssymb}
>>>\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>>\usepackage{graphicx}
>>>\usepackage{textcomp}
>>>%\usepackage{subfigure}
>>>\usepackage{lmodern}
>>>\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>>>\usepackage[swedish,english]{babel}
>>>\usepackage{nada-ex}
>>
>>You'll need to give more details than this.  We
>>don't have access to your documentclass kth-mag
>>nor to the package nada-ex.
>>
>>The best way to debug this is to keep removing
>>packages until the error goes away.  (For
>>example, it's unlikely that any of the ams
>>packages are the cause, so get rid of them
>>etc.) Then at least you'll know what the
>>conflict is. If  you can then post this
>>smallest example that causes the error, perhaps
>>we can help.  Can you post a link to the
>>document class you are using?
>

>I have been trying to help him on the TeXShop
>forum and I it would have been helpful if he
>posted some of what I discovered. First of all,
>the kth-mag class uses memoir and it appears to
>me that the issue is with memoir. If I try
>typesetting just the following:
>
>\documentclass{memoir}
>\usepackage{subfigure}
>\begin{document}
>Hey.
>\end{document}
>
>I get the error he describes. This is odd
>because the memoir documentation specifically
>mentions that it supports the subfigure package.
>In fact, the author mentions that there was a
>clash at one time and that it has been fixed
>(first a subfigure option was needed and then he
>states that even that is no longer needed).
>
>At this point I am stumped since what I show
>above is, I think, supposed to work.

This is the solution.  Sorry I'm posting on two different threads...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_frm/thread/d42eec9a99cd9d8d/bffe0066976e8add?hl=en&lnk=st&q=subfigure+memoir#bffe0066976e8add

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824      Tel.  +1-517-355-7491