[OS X TeX] (no subject)

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Wed Feb 27 00:23:47 CET 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:10 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 10:39 PM +0000 2/26/08, Marco Belleschi wrote:
>> I'm using TexShop for my master thesis. If I insert the package
>> subfigure in the preamble I get the following error
>>

>> ! LaTeX Error: Command \c at lofdepth already defined.
>>               Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
>>
>> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.124 \newcounter{lofdepth}
>>
>> ?
>>
>> This is the preamble I'm using
>>
>> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{kth-mag}
>> \usepackage{url}
>> \usepackage{amsmath, amsthm, amssymb}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{graphicx}
>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>> %\usepackage{subfigure}
>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage[swedish,english]{babel}
>> \usepackage{nada-ex}
>
> You'll need to give more details than this.  We don't have access to
> your documentclass kth-mag nor to the package nada-ex.
>
> The best way to debug this is to keep removing packages until the
> error goes away.  (For example, it's unlikely that any of the ams
> packages are the cause, so get rid of them etc.) Then at least
> you'll know what the conflict is. If  you can then post this
> smallest example that causes the error, perhaps we can help.  Can
> you post a link to the document class you are using?

I have been trying to help him on the TeXShop forum and I it would
have been helpful if he posted some of what I discovered. First of
all, the kth-mag class uses memoir and it appears to me that the issue
is with memoir. If I try typesetting just the following:

\documentclass{memoir}
\usepackage{subfigure}
\begin{document}
Hey.
\end{document}

I get the error he describes. This is odd because the memoir
documentation specifically mentions that it supports the subfigure
package. In fact, the author mentions that there was a clash at one
time and that it has been fixed (first a subfigure option was needed
and then he states that even that is no longer needed).

At this point I am stumped since what I show above is, I think,
supposed to work.

-- Gary