[OS X TeX] Re: Floating table in landscape orientaton results in a half empty page

Olga Lyashevskaya olgalyashevskaya at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 16:42:39 CET 2008

Dear all,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Unfortunately I still have the same problem.

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Can you give us a minimal example *with* the bug?

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage {lscape}
\begin{document}

text before table \ref{DefBio}

\begin{landscape}
 \begin{table}[htbp]
 \centering
 \setlength{\abovecaptionskip}{0pt}
  \setlength{\belowcaptionskip}{5pt}
 \caption {Definitions of biodiversity} \label {DefBio}
  \begin{tabular} {p{8cm} | p{2cm} | p{2.5cm} | p{5cm}}

some content

 \end{tabular}
 \end{table}
 \end{landscape}

text after table

\end{document}

and in pdf output I get:

page 1
text before table, reference table
[only a few lines, the rest of the page is empty]

page 2
table

page 3
text after table

I would expect a part of the text from page 3 to be moved on page 1 to fill the space, but it does not happen.
I hope it is a bit clear what I mean.

Ross Moore wrote:

>Is this using  \usepackage{lscape}

Yes

The coding with \rotatebox does solve my problem (I dont have any half-filled pages), but now
some text (just a few lines) in portrait orientation appears just under my table in landscape orientation.
I was trying to insert \pagebreak or something similar, but it is not convenient as I never know where it should be.
I have tried to increase the height of my table from 0.7 to 0.9 but I still could not get rid of the text. On the other hand
0.95 was apparently too much, as table has been moved to some page p at the end of the document.

Both \landscape and \rotatebox partially work for me, but how to combine both to get what I need?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,
Olga