[OS X TeX] path before prompt

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 18 17:01:02 CET 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:

> I think, as I recall, that you are still under 10.4, where the
> default is to have a prompt showing the entire path down to the
> current directory, i.e., something like:
>
> XYZs-computer:~/Documents/papers/math220 xyz$
>
> This is why, under 10.4 one doesn't need to reset the default
> prompt, if they like it as it is. But is seems that under 10.5 the
> default is to hide the path, and I am guessing, we will have just a
> very short prompt, with something like this:
>
> $
>
> I am not sure which is the good placement for re-setting the prompt,
> in .bashrc or in .bash_profile, and which is the best line of code
> in either of these dot files, esp under Leopard.
>
> Roussanka

Howdy,

Nope, I'm using 10.5 and it is set to \W, which is ok with me. If I
write an extended command line the line wraps properly and doesn't
write over itself.

By the way, here is what man bash says about configuration files:

it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
that file exists.  After reading that file, it looks for
~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile,
in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that
exists and is readable.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)