[OS X TeX] Floating table in landscape orientaton results in a half empty page

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Mon Feb 18 14:13:12 CET 2008

Someone (I wish I could give credit where credit is due) posted the
following to this list a while back, note the final commented line.

% Alter some LaTeX defaults for better treatment of figures:
  % See p.105 of "TeX Unbound" for suggested values.
  % See pp. 199-200 of Lamport's "LaTeX" book for details.
  % General parameters, for ALL pages:
  \renewcommand{\topfraction}{0.9}       % max fraction of floats at top
  \renewcommand{\bottomfraction}{0.8}    % max fraction of floats at
bottom
  % Parameters for TEXT pages (not float pages):
  \setcounter{topnumber}{2}
  \setcounter{bottomnumber}{2}
  \setcounter{totalnumber}{4}     % 2 may work better
  \setcounter{dbltopnumber}{2}    % for 2-column pages
  \renewcommand{\dbltopfraction}{0.9}    % fit big float above 2-col.
text
  \renewcommand{\textfraction}{0.07}     % allow minimal text w. figs
  % Parameters for FLOAT pages (not text pages):
  \renewcommand{\floatpagefraction}{0.7} % require fuller float pages
  % N.B.: floatpagefraction MUST be less than topfraction !!
  \renewcommand{\dblfloatpagefraction}{0.7}      % require fuller
float pages
  % remember to use [htp] or [htpb] for placement