[OS X TeX] MinionPro Package with LiveTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Feb 16 23:45:45 CET 2008

Am 16.02.2008 um 20:44 schrieb Matthew Braham:

> I originally had it all in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ but it
> did not work.

Either this sentence or your last sentence I am citing is a lie.
Which one is it? And why did you destroy your working TeX system?
Can't you use Time Machine to restore the working setup?

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local is the proper branch to install local
additions. After you've added something or you've renamed something,
it is necessary to run

	sudo texhash

When you move MAP file fragments around it is recommended (usually
one isn't updating the MAP files every day or hour) to run

	sudo updmap-sys --syncwithtrees

afterwards. And if the MAP fragments in the personal TeX are changed,
then it's recommended to also run

	updmap --syncwithtrees

> I have moved it now to the location you suggested:
>
> /Users/Matthew/Library/
>
> I have run the command and get:
>
> !!! ERROR! The map file `Minion.map' has not been found at all.
>
>     Either put this file into the right place or remove the
>     reference from the configuration file. An automatic way
>     to disable unavailable map files is to call
>       updmap --syncwithtrees
>
>     For manual editing, call
>       updmap --edit
>
> I'm lost, because the MnSymbol installation worked first time!

Is the MAP file fragment really Minion.map with a capital M? Or is it
MinionPro.map?

The directory /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts should have at
least these directories:

	drwxr-xr-x    3 root  wheel   102  3 Mär  2007 map
	drwxr-xr-x   61 root  wheel  2074 30 Jun  2007 tfm
	drwxr-xr-x   10 root  wheel   340 30 Jun  2007 type1
	drwxr-xr-x   11 root  wheel   374 30 Jun  2007 vf

MAP file fragments belong in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/
dvips into a sub-directory "MinionPro" or such, that gives a hint to
which package or font family these MAP file fragments belong.

The same name should be used in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/
tfm to receive the TFM files, in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/
type1 to receive the PostScript Type 1 font files, in /usr/local/
texlive/texmf-local/fonts/vf to receive the VF files.

According to the saved output file from 'kpsewhich -debug 8 MinionPro-
Regular-Base-ab.tfm' from earlier today the tree /usr/local/texlive/
2007/../texmf-local/fonts/tfm is not searched but looked up from its
ls-R hash file for TFM files. (The private tree /Users/Matthew/
Library/texmf/fonts/tfm is really searched.) MAP file fragments in
the /usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/fonts/map tree are are
looked up too. (The private tree /Users/Matthew/Library/texmf/fonts/
mapm is really searched.) The notation ``..´´ in a pathname stands
for "one directory level higher" or, in our case, ``2007/..´´ is
substituted with nothing or ``/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local
´´ is substituted with ``/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local´´. So
kpsewhich is working fine and obviously the particles of the
MinionPro package are (were) not correctly installed. Proof: they
were not found in their proper places according to the TeX
configuration file.

--
Greetings

   Pete      <\