[OS X TeX] Nested \textbf{\textsc{xyz}}

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Sat Feb 16 09:20:13 CET 2008

Le 14-févr.-08 à 08:38, Holger Frauenrath a écrit :

> Hi Josh, hi Herb,
>
> yes, this works. The only difference to my own preamble (where it
> also did not work; my coworker had been using Computer Modern) is
> that I chose the lmodern package. Apparently, the Latin Modern
> fonts are also less complete than CMSuper.
>
> I do not quite remember why, at some point, I chose to switch to
> Latin Modern fonts. Can somebody give me a hint to what are their
> advantages (one of their disadvantages has become obvious)?

They differ on their conception and thus on their quality. See the
introduction of

http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-1/robertson/robertson.pdf

for a brief explanation. In short, cm-super are indeed more complete
(and will probably remain so), but they have been automatically
adapted from bitmap fonts, thus with a bit of unavoidable
approximation, whereas Latin Modern have been "manually" and directly
created from scratch (with the Computer Modern fonts design,
obviously) thanks to the MetaType1 language.