[OS X TeX] The `%!TEX TSprogram = TeXify' line used in TeXShop ...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 14 15:40:34 CET 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:22 AM, John Dann wrote:

> I suppose what I'm trying to work out is if they have any advantages
> them, or if its just the way TeXShop works that requires them.
> Would a
> person's workflow be extremely inhibited without them?  What would
> be a
> nightmare/impossible to do?
>
> Jon

Howdy,

I use pdflatex most of the time but sometimes need latex->dvips-
 >ps2pdf (TeX+Ghostscript) if the file contains lots of eps graphics
and xelatex for files where I want to use Mac fonts directly. In
addition I use the (pdf/xe)latexmk engines when I need bibliography,
cross-references, etc., resolved since those automatically run the
multiple passes, bibtex, makeindex, etc., the correct number of times.
It is MUCH easier to put the

%%!TEX TS-program = ...

line at the beginning of the file and have TeXShop choose the correct
engine than hve to manually choose it if it's not the default set in
my TeXShop->Preferences.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)