[OS X TeX] Utopia fonts not found (on 10.5?)

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Wed Feb 13 21:11:17 CET 2008

Dear all,

I have a minor problem with the MacTeX distribution and (as a
consequence) some more general questions concerning installing and
updating the MacTeX distribution.

I have two machines (an Intel iMac running 10.4; and an Intel MacBook
Pro running 10.5) on both of which I installed MacTeX 2007 (the
identical version from December 2007). For one of my proposals, I
decided to use the fourier package, i.e., the Utopia fonts. This works
fine on the iMac (on 10.4), but on the MacBook Pro (on 10.5), TeX
complains it cannot find the Utopia fonts (dozens of error messages:
"*** font futb8t not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
substitute Helvetica glyphs"). Can anyone tell me what is going wrong?

On that occasion, I would like to ask a couple of more general
questions (and maybe the answer to my problem is actually to be found
here) ... I have to admit that, being a spoiled kid who came to TeX on
the Mac when Gerben Wierda's i-Installer did all the work, I have had
an uneasy feeling for some time with the whole question of installing
and maintaining the MacTeX distribution being (seemingly) a bit opaque
(to me).

How am I actually supposed to keep MacTeX up-to-date? Do I have to
check the MacTeX website from time to time and do a full download?

How can I tell that I have the most current version? [I downloaded
MacTeX again today because I was not sure what was installed; the
installer would have worked as usual, but a look at the "customized
install" showed me that it would install "0 bytes" for all options
that can be checked; so I assume everything is upt-to-date.]

The "TeX Distribution" preference shows me that I have also "MacTeX
2006" installed (but 2007 is chosen as the current TeX distribution).
How can I deinstall it? Can it interfere with my current MacTeX
distribution?

Thanks for help.
Holger

__