[OS X TeX] New formats problem

Rowland McDonnell rjmmnet-lists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 10:38:22 CET 2008

I've just built myself a set of new formats as described in my earlier
messages to the list.

And it turns out that the XermLaTeX format doesn't work quite right.

The modification is simple: the call to hyphen.cfg is replaced by a call
to rmhyphen.cfg (active contents shown at the end of this message; full
detail in case it's relevant).

What rmhyphen.cfg does is load US English hyphenation patterns as
\language=0, UK English hyphenation as \language=1, and sets
\language=1.

(Why do it like that?  So I've got UK English hyphenation as the default
for `all my documents done here' as well as having the standard
Babel-equipped formats in reserve for `documents from outside or
documents that I want to be typset by others')

It seems to work fine with latex, and I don't see how it could cause any
problems with LaTeX in general to just `unplug' Babel as I have done.

But when I try to typeset a file which calls url.sty and uses XeLaTeX, I
find that while it works fine with the standard XeLaTeX and my
customized pdfLaTeX formats (pdfrmLaTeX), I get an error with my
customized XeLaTeX format (XermLaTeX):

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{url}

\begin{document}
Hello world.
\end{document}

gives the following log:

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
(format=xermlatex 2008.2.11)  11 FEB 2008 09:07
entering extended mode
 %&-line parsing enabled.
**testtmp.tex
(./testtmp.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo
File: size10.clo 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX file (size option)
)
\c at part=\count79
\c at section=\count80
\c at subsection=\count81
\c at subsubsection=\count82
\c at paragraph=\count83
\c at subparagraph=\count84
\c at figure=\count85
\c at table=\count86
\abovecaptionskip=\skip41
\belowcaptionskip=\skip42
\bibindent=\dimen102
)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/url.sty
! Undefined control sequence.
l.40   \do
          \~{\lower.45ex\hbox{\m at th$\mathchar126$}}% For tt style
? x

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 213 strings out of 95735
 2351 string characters out of 1189184
 45647 words of memory out of 1500000
 3459 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
 3640 words of font info for 14 fonts, out of 1200000 for 2000
 22 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 23i,0n,17p,123b,36s stack positions out of
5000i,500n,6000p,200000b,5000s
No pages of output.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what the cause of this is, and what I
might do about it?

Rowland.

rmhyphen.cfg:

\language=0% Make bloody sure that the language is set right.
%
\InputIfFileExists{hyphen.tex}%
   {\message{Loading hyphenation patterns for US english.}%
    \language=0
    \lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 }%
   {\errhelp{The configuration for hyphenation is incorrectly
             installed.^^J%
             If you don't understand this error message you need
             to seek^^Jexpert advice.}%
    \errmessage{OOPS! I can't find any hyphenation patterns for
                US english.^^J \space Think of getting some or the
                latex2e setup will never succeed}\@@end}
%
%
%
\language=1% Make bloody sure that the language is right.
\InputIfFileExists{ukhyphen.tex}%
   {\message{Loading hyphenation patterns for UK English.}%
    \language=1
    \lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 }%
   {\errhelp{The configuration for hyphenation is incorrectly
             installed.^^J%
             If you don't understand this error message you need
             to seek^^Jexpert advice.}%
    \errmessage{OOPS! I can't find any hyphenation patterns for
                UK english.^^J \space Something is wrong.}\@@end}
%
%
%
\language=1
\message{UK hyphenation patterns installed as language 1; US hyphenation
as language 0.  Default language set to 1.}
\endinput