[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2007 setup query

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sat Feb 9 05:17:23 CET 2008

Rowland,

On Feb 8, 2008, at 7:44 PM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm in the throes of installing MacTeX 2007.
>
> I've got a working MacTeX installation (from 2006, no version number),
> which uses a system-wide local texmf tree for local additions - this
> is
> on a different machine to the one I'm installing MacTeX 2007 on.

In 2006, MacTeX installed teTeX. Indeed, it installed Gerben Wierda's
teTeX distribution.

But in 2007, MacTeX switched completely to TeX Live. It installs the
full TeX Live 2007 distribution, exactly as if this distribution were
installed directly from the TeX User Group's DVD, using default
answers to every question asked by the installation script, with these
exceptions:

	a) The default is to install only binaries for one architecture, but
MacTeX installed binaries for both PowerPC and Intel

	b) The default is to configure the user's local additions for ~/
texmf, but on Mac OS X we use instead ~/Library/texmf.

See

	www.tug.org/mactex/whatgetsinstalledwhere.html

for more details on this.

There is one big difference in the teTeX and TeX Live distributions
(well, probably there are several). TeX Live installs in

	/usr/local/texlive/2007

The idea is that in 2008, the new version will install in

	/usr/local/texlive/2008

and not overwrite the old version, so users can easily go back a
version if they have trouble with the new version.

TeX Live has provisions for a local texmf tree which can be accessed
by all users on a machine. This tree is placed in

	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

This tree is NOT overwritten when the 2008 version is installed.
MacTeX works this way: if it finds this directory already present,
then it doesn't touch it, but otherwise it installs a default
directory tree, which is however empty with no files.

In your question below, you ask lots of questions about texmf.cnf,
etc. I don't know the answers to any of this because MacTeX by
deliberate choice installs exactly what TeX Live installs. Thus
answers to these questions are best found by going first to the tug
and texlive sites.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu