[OS X TeX] Trouble with Cyrillic--Solved!

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Feb 4 00:33:17 CET 2008

Am 03.02.2008 um 22:20 schrieb Roussanka Loukanova:

> \selectlanguage{russian}
> Zdes\cyrsftsn{}!

This looks like Latin to me!

I was making my tests with real Cyrillic characters. I also updated
my format to contain Russian hyphenation patterns and be aware of
this language, which made it necessary to install some packages from
TeX Live 2007. With LaTeX I can't use a mix of Latin and Cyrillic –
it works only with XeTeX.

The problems with GNU (or some Carbon) Emacs when using a Cyrillic
keyboard can easily be solved: make Cyrillic key-bindings, too!

You won't need them for everything, just for one or two dozens, the
number might grow in the future. Since C-x would still be something
like C-x, you just need to put some lines like this into your user
init file (~/.emacs):

	(define-key ctl-x-map "я" 'save-buffer)

You would need to remember (ah, I think your fingers will do it for
you) to press Alt-Ctrl-й (therefore I've written before "something
like") and then я – or just press Alt-Ctrl-й Alt-Ctrl-я! For me
it works to bring back the original keyboard layout by pressing the
Option or alt or ⌥ key. (Have you ever seen this little floating
keyboard?)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!