[OS X TeX] Gothic

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 3 23:31:59 CET 2008

At 11:18 AM -0500 2/3/08, Itamar Francez wrote:

>I want to use a gothic "F" in a document, and I read that some
>gothic fonts come with the MAcTex installation. How do I get a
>letter in the document to be in gothic font? >>

As an alternative to the math approach suggested by Matthew Leingang,
the yfonts package will do it. This works on my machine with MacTeX
installed:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{yfonts}
\begin{document}
\textswab{F}\\
\textgoth{F}\\
\textfrak{F}\\
\end{document}

See:

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/yfonts/readme

for documentation.

Alternatively, you can use XeLaTeX with a suitable font:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Kleukens-Fraktur}

\begin{document}
\end{document}

See: http://www.moorstation.org/typoasis/blackletter/index.htm for a
nice selection of blackletter fonts (among those recommended by
Joachim Trinkwitz on the XeTeX list:
http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2006-August/004962.html)

John

--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***