[OS X TeX] MacTeX vs TeX Live

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sun Feb 3 21:48:07 CET 2008

Aradio,

MacTeX is indeed just TeX Live. It may help to know how the package is
constructed. We first rename /usr/local. Then we install the full TeX
Live from the TeX User Group's DVD, which creates a new /usr/local.
All questions in the install script are answered with the default
except one: the user's local tree is placed in ~/Library/texmf rather
than ~/texmf.

Then Apple software constructs an install package from this /usr/
local. The install package does a few other things like installing the
TeX Distribution data structure, but  the /usr/local TeX Live package
is "completely vanilla."

For more details, see

	www.tug.org/mactex/whatgetsinstalledwhere.html

Dick