[OS X TeX] Trouble with Cyrillic--Solved!

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Feb 3 20:17:25 CET 2008

Am 03.02.2008 um 17:21 schrieb David Derbes:

> Because of the fault you should invoke in Terminal:
>
> 	sudo chown -R `id -un`:`id -gn` ~/.texlive2007
>
> This will make you again the owner of your data.
>
> And that fixed it!

No, this isn't the solution! This is just the work-around: TeX can
now (is allowed to) create TFM and PK files, which should *NOT*
happen or be necessary at all with CM-Super installed.

I was a bit blind in the afternoon – and not experienced enough in
using UTF-8 encoded *LaTeX* documents (only XeTeX ...). The fault is
here, revealed by a few minutes of fresh air and sunshine:

	\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
	\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
	\begin{document}
	\selectlanguage{english}
	Here!
	\end{document}

You're selecting only Cyrillic fonts although you are also using non-
Cyrillic characters! This can't work. You should properly use and select

	\usepackage[T2A,T1]{fontenc}

or even better

	\usepackage[T2A,T1,TS1]{fontenc}

And maybe you'll also need to add T2B and T2C and X2 – I actually
don't know what the subtleties mean, but I can understand that more
than one font (encoding) is needed to address all Cyrillic characters.

For me your example runs with my extension without having to use PK
and TFM fonts. Pdffonts tells me:

	name                                 type              emb sub uni
object ID
	------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- ---
---------
	XIVLZB+SFRM1095                      Type 1            yes yes
no       4  0

Adding some Russian it wants again to create TFM and PK files ...

For everyone who does not yet think of using UTF-8 encoding documents
with 8-bit LaTeX: do remember to add as many font encodings as your
TeX installation supports – at least a reasonable subset that covers
all characters you are using or will be using in the end in this
document.

UTF-8 encoding and LaTeX is a joke.

--
Greetings