[OS X TeX] Failing to locate style files

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sun Feb 3 01:48:02 CET 2008

Christopher,

It is possible to make the "TeX Distribution" panel work with the
MacPorts teTeX distribution.
If you installed MacTeX fairly recently, then it contains the
necessary data structure for MacPorts.
Your front end should already respect the choice of distribution made
with the Preference Pane.

However, there is a problem with commands issued from the Terminal.
These commands depend
on your PATH. The TeX Distribution structure adds /usr/texbin to this
PATH; this /usr/texbin is a
symbolic link which changes when you switch distributions with the
Pane, and
points to the binaries of the active TeX distribution. However,
MacPorts adds /opt/local/bin to the START of PATH, so it overrides
the /usr/texbin
which comes later. The solution is to modify your startup script,
which might be .profile, to add
/usr/texbin before /opt/local/bin.

This explains why your kpsewhich couldn't find the style files, since
kpsewhich is run from Terminal.
But again, most front ends won't care how PATH is set.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu