[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.4

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 22:28:14 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Maxwell, Adam R <adam.maxwell at pnl.gov> wrote:

>> Does not look very reasonable: Mixed means that executable for darwin
>> are installed but for windows not
>
> So do you have a suggestion for improvement?

Not sure that I really want: currently I manage 2 OSX10.5, 2 OSX10.4
and one x64_linux computer and I definitely want to run everything in
the same manner. However if "Mixed" means "installed for darwin" it
should be more explicit.

> In the case you mention, the update list shows you those packages as
> "Forcibly removed."  In my testing, I cancelled an update and broke a couple
> of installs just to try it out.

For me (from tlcritical) tlmgr gone rogue and removed few hundreds
packages before I noticed. So calculating the number of packages left
as I was installing collections

> If you're thinking of progress bars, that's on hold until after tlmgr2.

Nice

>> I would find very handy utility which manages packages installed on in
>> texmf-local TDS. At least list them and indicate which are part of tl
>>
>> (I typed last time something completely opposite, by mistake)
>
> Not something I have time to write, I'm afraid, unless tlmgr does this.

tl team dismissed this idea obviously because tlmgr installs only
repacked packages and they definitely do not want to repack packages
which due to some reasons (usually due to licensing) are not part of
TL. This is why I am advocating texmf-local browser rather than
manager.

Victor