[OS X TeX] problems with TikZ examples

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Tue Dec 30 17:18:38 CET 2008

Le 30 déc. 08 à 15:04, Art Werschulz a écrit :

> Hi.
>
> I am exploring TikZ/PGF, and having some trouble getting some of the
> examples in the manual to work.
> (BTW, a 560-page manual is a bit daunting.)
>
> I first tried the example developed in Section 2 (Tutorial: A
> Picture for Karl's Students).  The TeX file is as follows:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{tikz}
>
> \begin{document}
>  ... copy-and-paste of source on page 36 ...
> \end{document}
>
> When I ran pdflatex on same, I got the following msg:
>  ! Package pgfkeys Error: I do not know the key '/tikz/axes'
>    and I am going to ignore it. Perhaps you misspelled it.
> I typed "q" in response to same.  Despite the warning, the resulting
> PDF file displayed correctly.
>
> I then tried one of the automata in Section 23 (Automata Drawing
> Library).  The TeX file is as follows:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{tikz}
> \usetikzlibrary{automata}
>
> \begin{document}
>  ... copy-and-paste of source on bottom of page 23 ...
> \end{document}

Hi

You need the positioning library for this example

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{automata,%
   positioning}

\begin{document}
   \begin{tikzpicture}[shorten >=1pt,node distance=2cm,on grid,auto]
   \draw[help lines] (0,0) grid (3,2);
   \node[state,initial] (q_0) {$q_0$};
   \node[state] (q_1) [above right=of q_0] {$q_1$};
   \node[state] (q_2) [below right=of q_0] {$q_2$};
   \node[state,accepting](q_3) [below right=of q_1] {$q_3$};
   \path[->] (q_0) edge node {0} (q_1)
   edge node [swap] {1} (q_2)
   (q_1) edge node {1} (q_3)
   edge [loop above] node {0} ()
   (q_2) edge node [swap] {0} (q_3)
   edge [loop below] node {1} ();
   \end{tikzpicture}

\end{document}

For the first example, Peter is right, a comma is missing

   \begin{tikzpicture}
   [scale=3,line cap=round, %<------ here

Best Regards

Alain