[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.2

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 30 16:19:55 CET 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2008, at 4:52 AM, Matthias Damm wrote:
>

>> I recognized that I did not get any message from LittleSnitch(*)
>> during the first try, while on the second one, LittleSnitch asked
>> me to allow the acces to the several sites.
>> So maybe some problem between TLU and LS cound have caused TLU not
>> to be able to access some remote data.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> That's interesting. I noticed that Little Snitch (2.0.4 -- latest
> version) was throwing lots of Crash Reports (in ~/Library/Logs/
> CrashReporter/) while TLU was running. I killed the Little Snitch
> daemon and then restarted it and had no problem from then on. I
> submitted a bug report with one of the crash reports to the author
> of Little Snitch but haven't heard back yet. I do have an entry
> for .../wget.universal-darwin for several ctan sites (if Little
> Snitch ever asks again I'll tell it to allow any request) in the
> rule list and haven't seen the problem for a while now.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Well... I just had a ``critical update'' so tlmgr was being updated.
There was an apparent hang and I again noticed that Little Snitch was
periodically submitting CrashReport logs. Once I killed the daemon
everything continued properly with TLU's update of tlmgr. I'm guessing
that the tlmgr update script is using a server that Little Snitch
doesn't know about and also Little Snitch isn't catching the request
(fast enough?) and crashing with each request rather than throwing up
a dialog box. I've now changed the Little Snitch rule to allow
wget.universal-darwin to use any server on port 80 rather than the
limited list it had before. Hopefully that will ``fix'' the problem.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)