[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.2

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Dec 30 16:04:42 CET 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2008, at 4:52 AM, Matthias Damm wrote:
>
>> I recognized that I did not get any message from LittleSnitch(*)
>> during the first try, while on the second one, LittleSnitch asked
>> me to allow the acces to the several sites.
>> So maybe some problem between TLU and LS cound have caused TLU not
>> to be able to access some remote data.

This message hasn't shown up in my mailbox yet...strange.

> That's interesting. I noticed that Little Snitch (2.0.4 -- latest
> version) was throwing lots of Crash Reports (in ~/Library/Logs/
> CrashReporter/) while TLU was running. I killed the Little Snitch
> daemon and then restarted it and had no problem from then on. I
> submitted a bug report with one of the crash reports to the author
> of Little Snitch but haven't heard back yet. I do have an entry
> for .../wget.universal-darwin for several ctan sites (if Little
> Snitch ever asks again I'll tell it to allow any request) in the
> rule list and haven't seen the problem for a while now.

The tlmgr program does use wget.universal-darwin to download.  I think
it runs wget at least once per updated package, so you potentially
have a /lot/ of small downloads in a short time.

TLU itself also makes connections via Apple frameworks (for update
checking, mirror sanity check, and downloading the tlmgr
infrastructure updates).

--
Adam