[OS X TeX] texdoc in TeX Live 2008

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at att.net
Tue Dec 30 05:46:10 CET 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2008, at 5:54 PM, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

>> I don't think TLU will help in anyway that tlmgr cannot. As I
>> understand it - and I'm not on Leopard so I haven't seen TLU myself -
>> TLU is just a front end for _some_ of tlmgr's functionality. So you
>> might be able to do something with tlmgr which you can't do with TLU
>> but not vice-versa.
>
> This is generally correct.  However, in this case you can run TLU
> and it should clearly show you the packages that have been forcibly
> removed (which can happen in case of a botched update), and you
> should be able to easily reinstall them.
>
> --
> Adam

Thanks to everyone for helping out. I ran the new TLU and it updated
100's of packages as well as telling me which ones had been "forcibly
removed" eight months ago when tlmgr encountered problems which I did
not know how to recover from. With the new TLU I just had to highlight
and install. Now texdoc (which had been forcibly removed) works
perfectly, and a number of other packages have been recovered for some
time in the future when I might need them. Thanks again.

Tom Rike