[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.2

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Dec 30 03:02:08 CET 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2008, at 3:19 PM, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:
>
>> On Mon 29th Dec, 2008 at 06:37, Adam R. Maxwell seems to have
>> written:

>>> Actually, almost all of the toolbar icons are an abuse of Apple's
>>> standard icons and the human interface guide.  Improved toolbar
>>> icon designs are welcome.
>>
>> I can't say about Leopard but pre-Leopard, the circled i seems to be
>> used for "get information about an already identified something" but
>> the magnifying glass is used for "look/search/find something". For
>> example, in Finder, there's a magnifying glass in the search box.
>>
>> Maybe this has changed in Leopard, though.
>

> Thinking a little more about this, I did come to see a sense in
> which the magnifying glass makes sense. You're really looking it up
> on CTAN (or wherever that package info comes from). So it's "find
> this on CTAN," a kind of searching for something remote. But I do
> think that "getting info" is the dominant theme, and that the
> circled "i" would be better. I have no idea what the Apple interface
> guide says about this.

All the images I'm currently using are from the system, and this
particular one is called NSImageNameRevealFreestandingTemplate:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/nsimage_Class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000344-SW53

The blue circle with an "i" doesn't match the other icons, and I don't
think the magnifying glass is a bad fit.  It's certainly less of a
problem than using the gear image for "Update All."

In any case, this discussion is pointless unless someone is willing to
donate better icons :).  I'm a more-or-less competent programmer, but
a terrible icon designer.

Additionally, the problem Michael Hoppe experienced and the X11 issue
are more important at this point, since the UI is still subject to
change.

--
Adam