[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.2

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Mon Dec 29 22:56:54 CET 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 3:19 PM, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

> On Mon 29th Dec, 2008 at 06:37, Adam R. Maxwell seems to have written:
>
>>> Suggestion: the magnifying glass is used for "show info"---but
>>> usually, an "i" inside a circle is used for this, for instance, in
>>> the Finder. A magnifying glass seems usually to indicate zooming
>>> or a magnification tool.
>>
>> Actually, almost all of the toolbar icons are an abuse of Apple's
>> standard icons and the human interface guide.  Improved toolbar
>> icon designs are welcome.
>
> I can't say about Leopard but pre-Leopard, the circled i seems to be
> used for "get information about an already identified something" but
> the magnifying glass is used for "look/search/find something". For
> example, in Finder, there's a magnifying glass in the search box.
>
> Maybe this has changed in Leopard, though.

Thinking a little more about this, I did come to see a sense in which
the magnifying glass makes sense. You're really looking it up on CTAN
(or wherever that package info comes from). So it's "find this on
CTAN," a kind of searching for something remote. But I do think that
"getting info" is the dominant theme, and that the circled "i" would
be better. I have no idea what the Apple interface guide says about
this.

-Adam
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu