[OS X TeX] New Version of MacTeX-2008

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Mon Dec 29 21:21:59 CET 2008

Folks,

I have updated MacTeX-2008, MacTeX-Additions, and BasicTeX on CTAN. It
may take a few days for these updates to appear on mirror sites. The
new versions are apparent when running the installer because the
Welcome page shows a date of December 29, 2008. On CTAN,
MacTeX-2008.mpkg.zip is actually a link to a filename with a date,
currently MacTeX-20081229.mpkg.zip, so a close look at CTAN will
reveal the version. The CTAN directory also contains an md5 sum to
verify that the download was successful.

Here are the changes:

	a) TeXLive-2008 now contains a repaired tlmgr and updated packages as
of December 29.

	b) Ghostscript is version 8.63 rather than the older 8.62.

	c) BibDesk, LaTeXiT, and TeXShop are updated (the TeXShop updates are
minor localization issues and a new latexmk engine from Herbert Schulz)

The main purpose of these updates it to provide a fixed tlmgr so new
users can update packages without worrying about bugs in the original
version.

------------------------

If you already have MacTeX-2008, it is a waste of time to get the
update because

	a) You can update TeXLive-2008 with Adam Maxwell's TeX Live Utility.
Indeed, I constructed the new TeXLive-2008 by installing the DVD
version and then using TeX Live Utility to update. TeX Live Utility is
not yet in MacTeX because I'm waiting for Adam to give the go-ahead.
But I had no trouble using the version he just announced on the list.

	b) If you really, really want Ghostscript 8.63 and you haven't gotten
it some other way, you can obtain it at

      www.uoregon.edu/~koch

	c) BibDesk, LaTeXiT, and TeXShop can all be updated directly from
their web pages.

Dick Koch