[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.2

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Dec 29 15:37:30 CET 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> On Dec 29, 2008, at 4:11 AM, Rolf Schmolling wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> tried it out, works flawless. One thing: quitting doesn't end X11.
>>> Greetings Rolf
>>

>> This sounds like you're using tlmgr --gui (which uses X11) not the
>> TeX Live Utility which is a true Mac GUI and doesn't use X11.
>>

> With 0.2 I had the same experience. X11 started, a bunch of commands
> ran in an xterm window, then the terminal window quit when it was
> done, and X11 stayed running. Yes, I was definitely using the new
> gui and not the X11 version. This doesn't seem to be happening with
> 0.3.

The main purpose of 0.3 was to test the Python script I wrote for
doing updates, and nothing changed in the underlying tlmgr commands.

If someone who sees X11 run can tell me /exactly/ what steps are
required to cause this, please let me know.  This absolutely should
not happen.  Did you ever use the tlmgr Perl/Tk GUI?

> Suggestion: the magnifying glass is used for "show info"---but
> usually, an "i" inside a circle is used for this, for instance, in
> the Finder. A magnifying glass seems usually to indicate zooming or
> a magnification tool.

Actually, almost all of the toolbar icons are an abuse of Apple's
standard icons and the human interface guide.  Improved toolbar icon
designs are welcome.

thanks,
Adam