Re: [OS X TeX] Font rendering in TeXShop, TextMate…

Serge Cohen serge1cohen at free.fr
Mon Dec 29 10:52:28 CET 2008

Looking into more detail to the solution advertised on the net, I've
modified it so that one does not have to reboot, nor even exit its
session ....
I've tested it a couple of times without problem so far, but I can not
guarantee it is risk free :

sudo rm -rf  /private/var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/com.apple.ATS
killall ATSServer

The first command is the usual one to remove the corrupted cache, the
second one is killing the "Appel Type System server", that is the
process handling the cache. This process is going to be restarted as
soon as some application requires it (might slow down the next launch
of an application requiring the font server).

It is still not a great solution, but at least it's faster than
rebooting the machine or exiting the session… Although so far I've
always quitted the faulty PDF viewing application before killing the
font server, maybe it will just need a refresh of the PDF window ???

On another direction : is there a bug report number at apple
concerning this problem ? I guess the more bug report they get from
TeX (and derivative) users the more it is likely that in the future
they'll better test the PDF rendering part, including the re-encoded
font rendering !

Cordially;

Serge.