[OS X TeX] problem with \renewcommand{}{\arabic{}}

Fabienne Goldfarb fabienne.goldfarb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 22:55:58 CET 2008

Dear all,

I am a new member of the list and I have a problem I hope some of you
can help me to solve
I recently moved from an PowerBook to a MacBook and thus I reinstalled
LaTeX. I used MacTeX2008, and nearly everything works, except a bug
with numberizing with arabic numbers. I use the following commands in
the beginning of my TeX files : \renewcommand{\thechapter}
{\Alph{chapter} -- }
\renewcommand{\thesection}{\Roman{section} -- }
\renewcommand{\thesubsection}{\Roman{section}.\arabic{subsection}}

the last one doesn't work : instead of numbers, I have
"subsection ...." (it is written "subsection" instead of the number as
if the counter doesn't work). I have the same problem with the figures
numbers if I use \renewcommand

If I use the command \roman instead of \arabic, it works.
If I don't use the \renewcommand it works also (but I don't want this
way of counting the subsections)
And if I use the same file on the PC I have at work (with MiKTeX), it
works too so it is not linked to a badly written command.

I redownloaded macTeX and reinstalled. I "cleaned" my computer with
Onyx. Reinstalled again MacTex. It still doesn't work.

Thanks for your help

Fabienne Goldfarb (from France : sorry for possible english mistakes)