[OS X TeX] [OT] pdftk on OS X

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 25 14:41:33 CET 2008

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.12.2008 um 18:01 schrieb Martin Costabel:
>
>> The huge building block for pdftk is gcc42, which is needed for the
>> java compiler.
>

> Why is javac inappropriate?

There are several reasons: First, the command line flags of javac and of
gcj have not much in common. Try to translate a command line like

/sw/lib/gcc4.2/bin/gcj  --encoding=UTF-8
-I"/sw/src/fink.build/pdftk-1.12-3/pdftk-1.12/java_libs" -c MD5.java -o
MD5.o

into javac. Good luck. It may be possible, but then you would have to
rewrite the whole build process of pdftk, which is based on gcj.

Second, pdftk is a mixture of C++ and java code. I don't know if Apple
supplies the necessary bindings. Try to find the equivalent of a C/C++
code line

#include <java/lang/System.h>

for Apple's C++ compiler. It may be possible, but then you would have to
rewrite much of the source code of pdftk.

--
Martin