[OS X TeX] On the "Typeset" menu

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 23 21:09:34 CET 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Josep Maria Font wrote:

> El 22/12/2008, a las 21:27, Herbert Schulz escribió:
>
>> In most cases you can probably do better by using the latexmk
>> engines supplied with TeXShop (or get the latest version as
>> Latexmk402bTeXShop218.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>)
>> since it will automatically run (xe/pdf)latex (depending upon which
>> engine you use), any necessary runs of bibtex and/or makeindex and
>> (xe/pdf)latex as many times as necessary to resolve cross-
>> references, etc. It works nicely with many packages that produce
>> multiple indexes, bibliographies, glossaries, etc., but may need
>> some help if you use non-standard extensions.
>
> Thanks for the tip. I agree in most cases this is a wonderful engine.
>
> But I am rather concerned with the situations where precisely they
> are not the best option (I think): For instance, after running a
> "complete" engine, I have to manually edit both the .bbl and .ind
> files for fine tunning of the layout of the bibliography and indices
> (nothing is perfect), and after that I don't want to change them any
> more, but still I might want to make very fine adjustments to the
> main body of the text, hence running LaTeX alone...
>
> My main point is to separate "selection" of formats and of engines
> from "running" them, and that "Typeset" should always mean running a
> certain variety of TeX, either alone or embedded into a more
> complete engine like yours, but not running BibTeX or MakeIndex alone.
>
> Best,
>

> JMaF

Howdy,

Well, this is what I'd do...

Until there a stable index and bibliography use the line

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk

(or latexmk or xelatexmk depending upon the compile engine you want to
use). That will run makeindex and/or bibtex, etc.

Once there is a stable index and bibliography simply remove the `mk'
at the end of the engine, e.g. with the above you get

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex

(or latex or xelatex, ditto) so, from now on it will only compile.
Then you can edit the .bbl and .ind files to your liking.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)