[OS X TeX] On the "Typeset" menu

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Tue Dec 23 20:14:49 CET 2008

El 22/12/2008, a las 21:27, Herbert Schulz escribió:

> In most cases you can probably do better by using the latexmk
> engines supplied with TeXShop (or get the latest version as
> Latexmk402bTeXShop218.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>) since
> it will automatically run (xe/pdf)latex (depending upon which engine
> you use), any necessary runs of bibtex and/or makeindex and (xe/
> pdf)latex as many times as necessary to resolve cross-references,
> etc. It works nicely with many packages that produce multiple
> indexes, bibliographies, glossaries, etc., but may need some help if
> you use non-standard extensions.

Thanks for the tip. I agree in most cases this is a wonderful engine.

But I am rather concerned with the situations where precisely they are
not the best option (I think): For instance, after running a
"complete" engine, I have to manually edit both the .bbl and .ind
files for fine tunning of the layout of the bibliography and indices
(nothing is perfect), and after that I don't want to change them any
more, but still I might want to make very fine adjustments to the main
body of the text, hence running LaTeX alone...

My main point is to separate "selection" of formats and of engines
from "running" them, and that "Typeset" should always mean running a
certain variety of TeX, either alone or embedded into a more complete
engine like yours, but not running BibTeX or MakeIndex alone.

Best,

JMaF