[OS X TeX] Definitive font guide, please?

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:15:42 CET 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 10:00, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> What TeX distribution are you using? If it's BasicTeX you are
> probably missing many additional fonts. If it's MacTeX you should
> have quite a few fonts.

MacTeX 2008 is my distribution and freshly updated as of this morning.
Yes, I'm not doing billable work right now. ;)

> What does ``No joy'' mean? Does the file compile without
> complaining? What does the log file say?

"No joy" = "no success." :) No PDF output is produced. You should have
my follow-up posting by now. If not, I'll repost.

> \usepackage{fourier}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.85]{berasans}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}

I'll try this with on of my reports that has a lot of mathematics in
it. I like the look for a text-only document I'm working on. It won't
make our corporate standard (Arial -- <gag>), but I can use it for a
lot of other work I do. (FWIW, I use CM bright for internal work --
close enough and most folks can't tell it from Arial. :)

> is the boring standard that many folks use; Times for serif, scaled
> Helvetica for sans serif and Courier for monospace. If you have
> MacTeX 2008 (or TeX Live 2008) --- I don't know if it was part of
> earlier distributions --- you can also scale the Courier using the
> couriers package; I use

I will check it out too. Thanks for the pointers.

Any idea why Garamond and Mathdesign aren't working?

-=d