[OS X TeX] Definitive font guide, please?

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 18:45:58 CET 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 09:37, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> I don't know if you know about
>
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/
>
> which shows samples of the fonts and has instructions for their use.

I spent some time there this weekend. When I used their instructions
for loading Garamond,

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[urw-garamond]{mathdesign}

I receive an error when trying to build the output,
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ugmm8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font
file for reading

==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

After trying a few variations on the theme, I finally gave up.

Any hints? I have a standard (and updated) texlive 2008 install.

-=d