[OS X TeX] On the "Typeset" menu

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 22 21:27:59 CET 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Josep Maria Font wrote:

> El 16/12/2008, a las 18:40, cfrees at imapmail.org escribió:
>
>> My menu is divided into three sections:
>> - "Typeset" (run)
>> - format/tool selection
>> - engine selection
>> I assume yours doesn't appear this way?
>
> Yes, it does. But formats and tools are together, and selection of
> one of them changes the others.
>
>> Which version of TeXShop do you have?
>
> 2.18.
>
>> Older versions behaved as you describe but the current one doesn't
>> for me. If I run BibTeX and then
>> command-T it switches back to (pdf)LaTeX.
>
> For me, this only happens when I run BibTeX by hitting a button in
> the toolbar. If I run it by selecting it in the Typeset menu or by
> pressing command-shift-B, then my previous selection of LaTeX
> changes to BibTeX and the next "Typeset" (either through the menu or
> by command-T, not button) runs BibTeX.
>
>> Personally, I would dislike any proliferation of menus. Some of us
>> have
>> 12" screens - I already end up with hidden stuff on the menu bar
>> underneath the TeXShop menus. An addition would just exacerbate the
>> problem.
>
> I agree (I have a 13.3" one). Perhaps the Typeset (why not "Run" ?)
> menu should have only four items: The "Typeset" command and three
> submenus, called Format, Engine, and Tools. The first two should
> only *select* the format and the engine, but run nothing, while the
> fourth one would allow you to run an additional tool. There may be
> buttons and key equivalents, as now, which the user can configure to
> his liking.
>
>> Also, it isn't clear to me why some should be called "Typeset" and
>> some
>> "Tools". If the menu was split, I think this would need to be thought
>> through a little more. ("Format" - plain tex,  latex, context - vs.
>> "Typeset" - everything else? Certainly "Typeset" seems the obvious
>> place to look for the engines including tools such as BibTeX etc.)
>
> I agree, this should be given careful thought. Note that running
> either BibTeX or MakeIndex does not produce any typeset result,
> unless one runs (La/Con/...)TeX again, so it would be more logical
> to look for them under "Run" than under "Typeset".
>
> Best,
>
> JMaF

Howdy,

In most cases you can probably do better by using the latexmk engines
supplied with TeXShop (or get the latest version as
Latexmk402bTeXShop218.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>) since
it will automatically run (xe/pdf)latex (depending upon which engine
you use), any necessary runs of bibtex and/or makeindex and (xe/
pdf)latex as many times as necessary to resolve cross-references, etc.
It works nicely with many packages that produce multiple indexes,
bibliographies, glossaries, etc., but may need some help if you use
non-standard extensions.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)