[OS X TeX] Skim SKAutoReloadFileUpdate

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Sat Dec 20 22:51:45 CET 2008

OK, bringing this thread back, and top quoting because I have a new
question---

It looks like, unless one is typesetting from within TeXShop, there is
really no easy way at present to have the PDF auto-load without
creating the problems that Adam has described above, i.e., possibly
leading to garbaged PDF's and crashing the viewer in certain
circumstances, as well as who knows what else related to handling the
bad PDF's.

One could resort to a kind of non-auto-loading: Don't set skim to
auto, and each time, wait until the typesetting is done, and then push
"yes" to reload manually.

Any other suggestions?

-Adam M.

On Dec 19, 2008, at 2:50 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Dec 19, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>>> The above looks like a good summary indeed but, err …  what is the
>>> advantage of Skim over whatever viewer TeXShop uses (Preview?)
>>
>> I believe TeXShop uses its own internal viewer.  Skim was primarily
>> intended for annotating and reading documents on-screen, and that's
>> still where most of its features are directed.
>
> From looking at their site, this was my impression.
>

> On Dec 19, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> I prefer BBEdit as my text editor,
>
> I am NOT going to ask what the advantage over TeXShop is.
>
>> so I need a separate pdf-viewer.
>>
>> Preview really doesn't work as a previewer for BBEdit, as there is
>> no AppleScript support. The current version will reload a pdf file
>> if the file has changed, and preview is (manually or by a script)
>> brought to the foreground.
>>
>> TeXShop as a preview interferes too much with my workflow, my
>> scripts will handle the typesetting in a way that I like them
>> (including the use of draft mode at the early stages of a multi-run
>> document build).
>>
>> Skim does exactly what I need, with the nice control through
>> AppleScript.
>
> And since I couldn't script Apple to save my life …
>
> I apologize for this idle curiosity but I am inveterately curious
> and this is how I learnt most of what I know.
>
> Grateful regards
> --schremmer----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu