[OS X TeX] Skim SKAutoReloadFileUpdate

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Dec 18 07:41:42 CET 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 10:30 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2008, at 11:37 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> On Dec 17, 2008, at 1:12 PM, David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE,
>> CFM wrote:

>>> I've been using the "auto" feature as well and haven't seen
>>> anything bad (yet).
>>
>> Auto-reload for PDF was a mistake, IMNSHO [1].  There's a race
>> condition in reloading the file, so you can end up loading it
>> multiple times or (worst case) crashing it with invalid PDF.  The
>> only reliable way to do this is to set your script(s) to run a
>> "revert" command via AppleScript, if and only if your pdftex
>> processes completed.
>>
>> Only the  script/process calling pdftex has any idea if it
>> succeeded or how many runs will be required.  Hence, using revert
>> is more efficient and sensible, since you can't read a partially
>> created PDF document (as you can with some formats).
>>

> I'm confused. Is using "auto" when the dialogue comes up asking
> about it the first time a file changes the same as using the
> SKAutoReloadFileUpdate hidden preference, which is I think what the
> OP asked about?

Basically the same thing.  Using the "Auto" button will bypass the
alert for the current document until it's closed, but setting the
hidden default will always bypass the alert (if I read the source
correctly).  My recommendation is to disable the feature entirely so
Skim does not watch for changes to the file.

--
Adam