[OS X TeX] BibLaTeX and archival (a la jurabib)

Rolf Schmolling rolf.schmolling at alumni.TU-Berlin.de
Wed Dec 17 09:23:00 CET 2008

Hi,
since i started this row some month ago (no response on the list then)
I'd like to elaborate a  bit what I'd expect.

Actually the "problem" is still present, I am currently still using
jurabib, basically for two reasons: I know how this particular package
works … – no modifications of the really complicated code – some
things I have not been able to accomplish like a better manage of the
archival-type entries.  The other reason is that my references (kept
in BibDesk) are set up for jurabib.

Simon and Dominik have promised that many things are easier to
accomplish, like multibib-functionality and formatting of references.
Furthermore since jurabib is not developed any more this is a dead
end. I do believe them but…  1) setting things up is a lot of work
(learning, changing the references (field and such alike) testing 2)
most important learning to write a NEW entry-type (archival) which I
believe is not trivial. So I am still shying away from that huge effort.

In fact, I rather like the manual to be 175pages (but so far the
manual I have seen was much much shorter?!) I just recently installed
and updated TexLive2008 (wow that was easy!) and as far as I know
BibLaTeX was not part of this (hint hint: please include this  as the
beta could be kept updated easily with the new package-Manager!!) so
maybe I missed the long long manual. I have to admit I am not the
programmer- or mathematical inclined type, writing macros is too much
for me. So I ultimately don't know if I will be able to achieve my
goal here – in the end it is to finish my thesis – not be perfect with
LaTeX/Bibtex/BibLaTeX/jurabib etc.

So much for now, maybe I make this a New Years' promise to self.

Best regards,

Rolf

Am 17.12.2008 um 08:55 schrieb Simon Spiegel:

> On 17.12.2008, at 06:36, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
>> On Dec 16, 2008, at 9:26 PM, G.H. Szylowsky PhD wrote:
>>
>>> I admit that this is not the world record (175 pages). I found a
>>> package on TL with an 850 page guide.
>>>
>>> Not having a reasonable intro, is a big problem.
>>>

>> Beamer is a good example of lots of documentation, but easy to get
>> into. The tutorial at the start enables one to start making basic
>> presentations almost right away. Also the Gratzer book has a nice
>> chapter on this. But then one can profit from scanning the manual
>> to learn how to do more complex things.
>
> I doubt that anyone who says biblatex has bad documentation ever had
> a proper look at it. Actually, the first paragraph tells the reader
> which sections to look at for a quick start and the package comes
> with more than 30 examples.
>

> simon
>
> --
> Simon Spiegel
> Steinhaldenstr. 50
> 8002 Zürich
>
> Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
> Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39
>

> http://www.simifilm.ch
>
> „When you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
> nail.“ Abraham Maslow

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

Rolf Schmolling M.A. Historian, Rolf.Schmolling at Alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
http://rolf_schmolling.macbay.de/