[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 13 18:25:02 CET 2008

David Derbes wrote in part:

> First, David Pogue's books on Mac OS X are very useful ...
> Next, I have always liked Harley Hahn's The Student's Guide to Unix...
> Finally, there may well be a really good guide to Unix for the Mac from
> O'Reilly or on-line.

I second all three suggestions. Both Pogue and Hahn are exceptionally
readable, although Hahn (at least in my older version of the Unix book)
goes into great detail and I find it overwhelming to read in large doses.

To add some titles to the O'Reilly suggestion, Dave Taylor's _Learning
Unix for Mac OS X Tiger_ has a Tiger kitten on the cover, and it's a
nice gentle approach that assumes only the most basic knowledge of Mac
OS X, but with a great deal of content in its 260 pages.

For a more advanced book, there's _Mac OS X Tiger for Unix Geeks_:

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Tiger-Unix-Geeks/dp/0596009127/ (for 10.4,
obviously)

and the recently released revision for 10.5 (with a leopard on the
cover), _Mac OS X For Unix Geeks_

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-X-Unix-Geeks/dp/059652062X/

Many O'Reilly books (most? all?) are available on-line through Safari Books:

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/

which isn't cheap, at least by my standards:

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/whysafari/buy-individual.php

but which I'm able to access for free through my local public library;
it might be worthwhile to check whether any of the institutions or
organizations list members are affiliated with have a similar arrangement.

John

--
John McChesney-Young ~ jmccyoung at gmail dot com ~ Berkeley, California
                       http://jmccyoung.blogspot.com