[OS X TeX] mathabx astronomical symbols

Shawn Allgeier allgeier at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 06:42:45 CET 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 8:38 AM, Benoit RIVET wrote:

> Le 30 nov. 08 à 23:17, Shawn Allgeier a écrit :
>
>> Has anyone used the mathabx package?  I am interested in the
>> astronomical symbols.  The package wasysym seems to work, but
>> mathabx produces some sort of font error and typesetting stops.  I
>> am running TeXshop on both 10.5 and 10.4 machines.
>
> As explained elsewhere, mathabx is a metafont version : this
> requires on the fly generation of pk fonts, which may fail for some
> reason and explains why you can't compile. You may install a type 1
> version of the mathabx fonts : Anthony Pham (who created the fonts)
> does explain on http://www-math.univ-poitiers.fr/~phan/
> metafont.html#mathabx that you can find mathabx fonts converted to
> type1 on Kohsaku Hotta's page http://auemath.aichi-edu.ac.jp/
> ~khotta/ghost/mathabx.html. It's a little bit hard to find the
> exact download link, which happens to be http://auemath.aichi-
> edu.ac.jp/~khotta/ghost/abx/abxtype1.zip. These converted fonts are
> not officially endorsed by Anthony Pham, hoewever I use them for my
> own needs without problems.
>
> Don't forget to run texhash and updmap after installing the pfb
> files :
>
> sudo texhash
> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map mathabx.map
>
> Benoît RIVET----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting

I would have never found this on my own - thank you.  Unfortunately I
don't know much about the TDS and so I don't know where to put these
files.  Based on what I read in the TeX faq I put them in

~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/mathabx.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/abxtype1/pfb/....

I ran texhash and updmap (again I don't know much about how TeX works
so these commands don't mean much to me)
My console spit out the following ...

-------
[1{/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
pdftex.map} <./Swa
mpSatlogo.jpg>])kpathsea: Running mktextfm matham10
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input matham10
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea: Running mktexmf matham10

! I can't find file `matham10'.
<*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input matham10

Please type another input file name
--------
-Shawn