[OS X TeX] Adobe Post Script Font Mapping

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon Dec 8 00:12:31 CET 2008

On Sun 7th Dec, 2008 at 23:24, Lothar Richter seems to have written:

> Hi,
>
> after searching several sites I did it according to
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html
>
> In detail:
> Am 07.12.2008 um 21:41 schrieb cfrees at imapmail.org:
>
>> On Sun 7th Dec, 2008 at 12:15, Lothar Richter seems to have written:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am not sure, whether this is a real MaxTeX specific question, so I
>>> apologize if it is not.
>>>
>>> I am using Tex Live for Mac version 2008.
>>> I installed Adobe Garamond according to the various instructions available
>>> on the internet:
>>
>> Which ones?
>>

> Font files;
> AGarBolIta
> AGarReg
> AGarSemIta
> AGarBol
> AGarIta
> AGarSem
>
> Instructions:
> http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html
>

>>> -renaming of outline files to padr8a.pfb etc...
>>> -generation of pl and vpl files from afm files
>>
>> How?
>>
> First rename and unmac the fonts:
>
> t1unmac -r padr8a/rsrc padr8a.pfb
> etc... for the other fonts
>
> My driver file for fontsinst:
>
> \input fontinst.sty
> \latinfamily{pad}{}
> \bye
>

>>> -transformation to tfm and vf files
>>
>> How?
>>

> apply pltotf *.pl
> apply vptovf *.vpl
>
> The map file (pad.map):
> % Adobe Garamond
> padr8r  AGaramond-Regular        "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
> <padr8a.pfb
> padri8r AGaramond-Italic         "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
> <padri8a.pfb
> pads8r  AGaramond-Semibold       "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
> <pads8a.pfb
> padsi8r AGaramond-SemiboldItalic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
> <padsi8a.pfb
> padb8r  AGaramond-Bold           "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
> <padb8a.pfb
> padbi8r AGaramond-BoldItalic     "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
> <padbi8a.pfb
>
>> - cfr
>>
>>> -installation in ~Library/texmf ...
>>> -updating the maps
>>>
>>> The problem is following:
>>> I am using format plain.tex  and latin1 file encoding and all macros
>>> (including \"a ...) are working. I switch to Garamond
>>> (e.g. \font\Garamond=padr8r at 16pt) and the macros do not work anymore,
>>> german umlaut (ä,ü,ö) can be typed directly
>>> and are displayed correctly.

You mean they are displayed correctly in the PDF output when you input
? say, but not \^e? (I know this isn't a German character but I can't
type accented characters easily in email and this was handy to cut and
paste.)

It seems odd to use the 8r encoding but I don't know anything about
plain TeX so maybe it is not (see below). Shouldn't you be using one of
the standard encodings - OT1, T1...? Do the macros usually work if you
use 8r?

>>> It has to do with the character arrangement
>>> in Adobe fonts which differ from TeX alignment.

This is what the above should take care of. But it depends on your
having named the fonts properly in the first place. What you used
sounds right but I don't know anything about Adobe's commercial Mac
fonts. Are you sure they were in Adobe Standard Encoding? That's what
the "8a" means. I'm not sure how well the above process would work if
that weren't true. You can check by opening the afm files in a text
editor.

Before you do that, check this: does the same issue occur in LaTeX as
in TeX? If not, ignore the above. I don't know anything about using
fonts in plain TeX. If the problem occurs for LaTeX documents as well,
check the above.

The \latinfamily macro is easy to use but it is also only able to cope
with fonts which are standard in various ways. I'd expect these to be
but without knowing more about them it's hard to be sure.

Did you generate the afm files or were they provided? What format were
the fonts in initially?

- cfr